Many workplaces are seeking large-scale change by focusing on ESG (Environmental Social Governance), the three dimensions of sustainability. Investors are increasingly evaluating ESG criteria and where companies do not engage with ESG, they now pose financial risks. Whereas strong ESG credentials can promote company growth.
So, how can a business improve its ESG credentials?
- Reduce operational and embodied carbon emissions & aim for Net Zero Emissions
- Use products and materials that are sustainably sourced and have Environmental Product Declarations (EPD’s)
- Produce less waste and set waste reduction targets
- Facilitate a collaborative and social workplace with hybrid working training and development opportunities
- Integrate wellness into the design and management of a workplace
- Illustrate a traceable, transparent, and ethical supply chain
- Implement diversity & inclusion policies
There are a number of accreditations available to demonstrate sustainability and ESG in the workplace, which can vary dependent upon business operations. An ISO 14001 (Environmental Management) can help a business to become environmentally friendly and help focus on adaptive sustainable management. There are also a number of other ISO standards as part of an internationally recognised framework for environmental management. A B Corp certification measures a company’s social and environmental impact. In construction, BREEAM is an internationally recognised scheme for best practice sustainable design. 1% for the planet certification body encourages businesses to give 1% of their gross sales to environmental projects. The Carbon Neutral Certification shows a company’s internal measures to offset their emissions.
Although there is no handbook on sustainability in the workplace, we can all start by talking openly. If you would like to make your workplace more sustainable, just start simply by having an open conversation with your team and find out:
- What does sustainability mean to them?
- Would they like training in sustainability?
- What changes would they like to see in the workplace?
At JAW Sustainability we provide specialist sustainability support in the construction industry, understanding client objectives to integrate sustainability in a meaningful way. If you would like to discuss sustainability, ESG and wellbeing in the workplace, get in touch with us and we’d love to chat! Instagram: @jawsustain